Indian Journal of Pathology and Oncology

Innovative Education and Scientific Research Foundation

Email : editor@iesrf.org
Registered Under Government of India NGO – Indian Trust Act 1882

Diagnostic utility of core biopsy in histomorphologic evaluation of prostatic carcinoma

Article : Open access

Article type : Research Article

Volume : 7

Issue : 2

Year : 2020

Author : Disha Shetty, Karthik Hariprasad Shetty, Muktha R Pai

Page no : 304-308

Abstract : Background: Core biopsy is a minimal invasive procedure that can help in a definitive diagnosis. Clinicopathological correlation is necessary for early detection of prostate cancer. Objective:To correlate histomorphological features of prostatic lesions with clinical data by evaluating core biopsy. Materials and Methods:The present study was conducted in Department of Pathology in a tertiary care hospital. Fifty eight prostatic core biopsies which were clinically suspicious of malignancy with Digital Rectal Examination, Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) levels and Transrectal ultrasound (TRUS) /magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) findings were considered. Results: Eighty six percent of the suspected cases turned out to be malignant. Most of the patients were of age group 66-75 years. The most common chief complaint was lower urinary tract symptoms. On Digital Rectal Examination, 64% of cases presented with hard prostate and prostatomegaly. 86% of the cases had PSA level >10ng/ml. TRUS was performed in 45% of cases and MRI in remaining 55% of cases. The commonest Prognostic Grade Group was V, Modified Gleason score was 9, Gleason pattern was 4. Prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia was associated in 45% of the cases. 21% of the cases presented with extraprostatic metastasis(bone). Conclusion: Prostatic core biopsy along with clinical correlation stands out to be a good screening test in association with histomorphologic evaluation for the early diagnosis in clinically suspicious cases of prostatic carcinoma. Keywords: Prostate cancer, Core biopsy, Gleason, Prognostic grade group.